Run Home to Crochet

Run Home to Crochet

Wednesday 1 July 2015

Weekend in London - Day 3


Hello there - well day three arrived and it was a glorious sunny day and after another cooked breakfast we set off for a stroll around the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park which was a mere stones throw away from our hotel.  It is a sporting complex built for the 2012 Summer Olympics and the 2012 Summer Paralympics, situated to the east of the city adjacent to the Stratford City development

Come and take a wander around with me




the closer I got to the park the emotions of those beautiful Olympic days started coming back

 
seeing these flags still blowing gently in the breeze brought a lump to my throat
 
 
 
look at these structures three years on and still looking like new
 
 
 
 
come on over to the fence and take a look around
 
 
 
 
come on down for a look around
 
 
 
 
 
the steps down are in amongst the wild flower garden that has been planted
 
 
 
 
 
 
 up we go for a walk around the top
 
 
 
this happened on Day 1 of the Paralympic games - 6 gold medals for team GB

 
 
 
a plaque and permanent records are on the walkway painted on the path
Didn't we do absolutely brilliantly??!!!!
 
 
 
 
children's play areas - me snapping a Mum snapping her little one
 
 
 
seating areas
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
gardens planted all the over park and flourishing now
 
 
I spotted this little fella climbing up the fence post
 

 
The orbit
(my friend Coral wants to abseil down this 263 feet structure!!!)
 
 
so we head back to Stratford to catch the train back to Victoria in time for our coach back to Portsmouth and make our way home after our weekend away
 
 
looking back as we leave
 
 
past the Olympic village where the athletes stayed
 
 
Paralympic Games badge 2012
 
 
 
 
Back in 2011 we applied for tickets for the Olympic Games and we were lucky enough to get tickets for the boxing which was held at the Excel International Convention Centre, but I was not lucky enough to get any tickets for the Olympic Park although we visited the area at the time.  You could not get close or go into the Olympic Village without tickets.  It was a truly great atmosphere from the moment we stepped off the train at Waterloo station with the whole of London in a blaze of bright pink at underground and railway stations and smiling happy faces everywhere you looked.
 
Visiting the Olympic Park on our weekend away three years later brought all these memories and emotions back to me and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of my walk around.  If you get a chance at any time to go and visit the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic park I urge you to do so.  What a legacy the Olympics 2012 have left this country and what a truly amazing experience to have lived and been a part of the dream!!
 
Thanks for popping by
 
Xx Joy Xx
 
PS  walking back to catch our coach
 
 
I spotted these in a garden in Victoria
 
 
and these are in my neighbours garden - she has four boys!
I love it

10 comments:

  1. I loved walking around the Olympic Park with you. We didn't got to any of the Olympic events but I can imagine that it would have been a very exciting occasion. We'll definitely try to get there for a look around next time we're in London! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place. I hope you get there one day xx

      Delete
  2. haha love the wellies. How lucky were you with the weather :) also its so good to know they have looked after the village rather than let it get run down after all this time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We once went past on the train Joy when heading into London for the day and just seeing it was spine tingling. I'd love to look around one day :)

    Thank you for the virtual tour xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get there one day Sarah it's a fabulous place. Glad you enjoyed the tour xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo memories for you Joy. Pen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do have some adventures! And you are right, I do want to abseil down there, it looks fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. London Concierge

    ReplyDelete